We also added a new lean to on the north side of the barn for Timmie. He had to have a new place to stay when we decided to use his old place for our new RV storage unit. Here is the skeleton with the roof on and the new roof we put on the old section also.
Then we had to remove the old floor in the back part of the barn. This shows the new look with the floor gone.
After all of the deconstruction we got started on the reconstruction. This shows the new wood siding being put up.
As some of you know, I do not climb well or at all. That is why we have a checkerboard look to the new siding. We thought we would paint the boards for the highest part before we put them up cause its a long way up there. I guesstimated from the safety of the ground that it was approximately 8' from the bottom siding boards to the very peak of the barn. With that erroneous information in hand, I thought we could get two boards out of each 16' siding board and it would cover the whole center section of the peak. Well you guessed it, the longest boards were almost 10' so my well conceived plan had a slight flaw. There were not enough painted boards to fill the entire center section so we have a checkerboard. We will try to solve that issue when we paint the rest of the siding.
The north side of the old barn and Timmie's new home were sided with metal siding. Due to the fact that the north side gets little or no sun, the old wood siding would mildew. We decided to use metal even though it was not in keeping with the original structure.
Timmie really likes his new home. Yesterday afternoon I was hauling top soil up to put over the fill dirt we used to get to a mowable grade around the new building. I had opened the gate at the back of Timmie's pasture to save time as it is much shorter going that way to get the fill dirt. Well we had our third rain shower of the day late yesterday afternoon and I decided three times getting wet was enough and called it quits for the day. I put things away, fed Timmie and went to the house to grill some chicken for supper. This morning when I woke up I was lying in bed thinking, I forgot to close that gate last night, OH OH. I went out and sure enough there are Timmie tracks around the barn. I am wondering if he got into the road or where he might be. Well, I went around to the back of the barn and there he was standing by the door to his new home waiting to be put back in his pen. Gotta love that Timmie.
One of the things we did this summer was make a trip to Brown County. We took the camper and stayed in the park campground. Even though the weather was hot, Alyssa, Jennifer, Brian, Cole and Quinn came to visit us and spend the day at the park. We had a great time with them.
That's all I have for today. I will try to give some more updates on the barn as we progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment