This year has brought a lot of changes to the Powers Family the biggest perhaps is Marcia's retirement. We had lots of conversations about this and could we afford it etc etc. Well the school corporation came up with a buyout that made it possible for Marcia to retire which made both of us very happy. The High School had a little retirement party for her and another lady that is also retiring on Thursday morning which was the last day for the teachers. I have included a few photos the first one is when Marcia was talking about her family of friends at school and how she will miss the interaction with her coworkers. It got a little emotional but not too bad.
There is an interesting story about how I was able to attend the party. Karen Sanders had called me a little over a week ago to ask if I would like to attend the party. Well at that time I did not feel like I would be able to get out and go to the party and I was a little loopy on some of the pain medicine that they give you so I said no I guess I better not try it. Then Thursday morning after Marcia had left for school Karen Sanders and Karen Huber called again and said "are you sure you don't want to come" and I decided if I could get out and go to rehab I should be able to get to Marcia's retirement so I said "yes I would like to come". Well they got the ball rolling and said in about fifteen minutes someone would be out to pick me up. Ok that is great but most of my clothes are upstairs where I cannot get to them so what am I going to wear. Luckily Marcia had brought down a couple of outfits the night before and one looked like it would be ok for me to wear to this rather casual event. So by the time I got ready a car pulled in and Howard, the custodian and Paula one of his helpers came to the door and away we went in Paula's car. They took me right up to the front of the building and helped me walk in to the media center where the shindig was going on. It was a breakfast and people were just milling about talking so they just took me right to Marcia's table and I sat down. Shortly after that Marcia came by and said "what are you doing here?" Well that is how I got to go to the party and I was very glad that I did go cause I was pretty proud of my Marcia.

The above photo is another one of Marcia telling everyone goodbye. The bottom one is her reaction to a comment from one of the attendees. They did a nice little program for her with the Tiger fan club giving us a pair of tickets to a Detroit Tigers game in August. Several of her friends got up and made little speeches and presentations and some gifts were given. It was a very nice day.

Now it is time for the next chapter in our lives. I asked Marcia last night what her new title should be and without hesitation she said "I am head of grounds and maintainence." So I guess she has made the transition fairly easily. As a matter of fact she has already started her new position, she is out mowing lawn right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment