Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Winters Last Hurrah?


The temperature never got out of the teens today and it is 3F right now. I hope this is our last really cold spell although I prefer frozen to mud and slop which comes next.
Yesterday I saw what I think was one of the osprey's that nested here this summer. It was flying overhead and landed in a tree just behind the truck as I was driving near home. I stopped and got my binoculars and got a good look and it certainly looked like an osprey and when it flew off it looked even more like an osprey. I thought they wintered in the south but they might stay here like some of the eagles do. I have seen it a couple of times recently always near the lake next door to us. The lake is pretty much frozen over but there is some open water near the house maybe enough for the ospreys to fish. I hope they stay in this area they are fun to watch. I am thinking about building a platform on a utility pole that I have and putting it up on the hill behind the barn. I don't know if they would nest there or not but we saw one nesting like that in Seney National Wildlife Refuge this summer when we were in the UP.
I wanted to mention a couple of blog related items. For those of you receiving this as an email there is a link at the bottom of the email which you can click on to take you to the whole blog. Also if anyone does not wish to receive the email updates just let me know and I will remove your name from the list of names receiving the email notices. Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment